Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2905
Address: Marine Scotland, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
My current research is concerned with assessing and managing the impacts of marine renewables (wind, wave and tidal energy) on the marine and freshwater environments, and providing advice on the impacts of the oil and gas industries on the sea. My ultimate objective is to contribute to the evidence base that will ensure that energy-related activities are pursued in a sustainable manner, balancing development objectives with impacts on marine and freshwater ecosystems.
I collaborate with scientists across the UK and Europe, and have growing links with North America. The main research links are related to renewable energy, while advisory activities cover broader areas of OSPAR and ICES remits, and the implications of EU Directives for energy projects and plans. I have collaborations with several universities in Scotland through joint studentships (MSc and PhD) close collaborations with the University of Aberdeen, where I am an honorary Senior Lecturer, and actively support the MarCRF initiative to develop marine science in Aberdeen.
External Committees and Responsibilities
I am a member of various Scottish and UK groups related to marine renewables, including the prioritisation of research needs and joint funding initiatives through ORJIP and NERC. I provide advice to both the Scottish and UK Governments and internationally through membership of ICES Working Groups on renewable energy.
Most Recent Publications
- Cormier, R., Davies, I.M., and Kannen, A. (Eds.) 2013. Integrated coastal-zone risk management. ICES Cooperative Research Report 320. 145 pp.
- Cormier, R., Kannen, A., Morales-Nin, B., Davies, I.M., Greathead, C., Sardá, R., Diedrich, A., Stelzenmüller, V., and Moksness, E., 2013. Risk-based frameworks in ICZM and MSP decision-making processes. In: Integrated coastal-zone risk management, Cormier, R., Davies, I.M,, and Kannen, A. (Eds). ICES Cooperative Research Report 320, pp 26-37
- Harrald, M., Hayes, P.J., Davies, I.M., and Robertson, M.R., 2013. Contribution of seabed habitat surveys to marine planning for renewable energy developments. In: Integrated coastal-zone risk management, Cormier, R., Davies, I.M,, and Kannen, A. (Eds). ICES Cooperative Research Report 320, pp 107-114
- Davies, Ian M and David Pratt, 2014. Strategic Sectoral Planning for Offshore Renewable Energy in Scotland. In: Marine Renewable Energy Technology and Environmental Interactions. Mark A. Shields and Andrew I.L. Payne, eds. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 141-152.
- Jacqueline F. Tweddle, Anja Byg, Ian Davies, Matthew Gubbins, Kate Irvine, Andronikos Kafas, Jasper Kenter, Alison MacDonald, Rory O’Hara Murray, Tavis Potts, Anne-Michelle Slater, Kirsty Wright, Beth E. Scott, 2015. Bringing the ecosystem services concept into marine management decisions. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea ASC 2015/O:15
- Scott, B. E., K.N. Irvine, A. Byg, M. Gubbins, A. Kafas, J. Kenter, A. MacDonald, R. O'Hara Murray, T. Potts, A.M. Slater, J.F. Tweddle, K. Wright, and I.M. Davies. 2016. The Cooperative Participatory Evaluation of Renewable Technologies on Ecosystem Services (CORPORATES). Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science 7 (1):84pp.
- Chimienti, Marianna; Cornulier, Thomas; Owen, Ellie; Bolton, Mark; Davies, Ian; Travis, Justin; Scott, Beth, 2017. Taking movement data to new depths: inferring prey availability and patch profitability from seabird foraging behavior. Ecology and Evolution, 7 (23),10252–10265
- Kafas, A., Donohue, P., Davies, I., and B E Scott, 2018. Displacement of existing activities. In: Offshore energy and marine spatial planning, K L Yates and C J A Bradshaw (eds), pp 88-112, Routledge, London.