Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 3543
Marine Scotland, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
Currently my research is concerned with marine assessments for the EU Water Framework Directive (WFD) and EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) in relation to Eutrophication (nutrients and chlorophyll). I am the Marine Scotland Science lead for Ocean Acidification monitoring and assessments and provide advice to policy.
I collaborate with scientists across the UK and Europe, notably those involved in the UK National Marine Chemistry Advisory Group (NMCAG), the Marine Alliance of Science and Technology for Scotland (MASTS) and ICES Marine Chemistry.
I addition I am currently involved in two external contracts:
The COMPASS project will deliver the first fully coherent network of monitoring buoys across the regional seas of the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and West Scotland. Integrating the longest continuously maintained oceanographic monitoring stations in Europe within a network of new buoys equipped with oceanographic sensors, acoustic recorders and advanced fish tracking technology, this exciting and innovative project will build cross-border capacity for effective monitoring and management of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs).
EU project Joint Monitoring Programme of the Eutrophication of the North Sea with Satellite data (JMP EUNOSAT) : Algal growth monitoring and assessment in a coherent manner using satellite observation.
Most Recent Publications
- Leon, P., Walsham, P., Bresnan, E., Hartman, S., Hughes, S., McKenzie, K. and Wesbter, L. (2018) Seasonal variability of the carbonate system and coccolithophore Emiliania huxleyi at a Scottish Coastal Observatory monitoring site. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 202 (2018) 302e314
- Hartman, S.E,. Humphreys, M.P., Kivimäe, C., Woodward, E.M.S., Kitidis, V., McGrath, T., Hydes, D.J., Greenwood, N., Hull, T.,C. Ostle, C., Pearce, D.J. Sivyer, D., Stewart, B.M., Walsham, P., Painter, S.C., McGovern, E., Harris, C., Griffiths, A., Smilenova, A., Clarke,J., C. Davis, Sanders, R. and Nightingale P. (2018) Seasonality and spatial heterogeneity of the surface ocean carbonate system in the northwest European continental shelf. Progress in Oceanography.
- Smith, K., P. Walsham, and L. Webster. 2017. The development and validation of a method for quantification of pigments of interest in marine waters using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with diode array detection (DAD). Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Vol 8 (12):80pp.
- Ostle C., P. Williamson, Y. Artioli, D. C. E. Bakker, S. Birchenough, C. E. Davis, S. Dye, M. Edwards, H. S. Findlay, N. Greenwood, S. Hartman, M. P. Humphreys, T. Jickells, M. Johnson, P. Landschützer, R. Parker, D. Pearce, J. Pinnegar, C. Robinson, U. Schuster, B. Silburn, R.Thomas, S. Wakelin, P. Walsham, and A. J. Watson (2016) Carbon dioxide and ocean acidification observations in UK waters: Synthesis report with a focus from 2010 - 2015.
- E Bresnan, K Cook, J Hindson, S Hughes, JP Lacaze, P Walsham, L Webster and W R Turrell (2016) The Scottish Coastal Observatory 1997-2013 Parts 1-3. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science. DOI: 10.7489/1881-1.
- Walsham, P., L. Webster, C. Engelke, N. Greenwood, B. Stewart, C. Kivimae, S. Hartman, D. Pearce, and R. Gowen. (2014). UK Ocean Acidification Coastal Monitoring Network - Expanding the Network - Defra Contract C5801/ME5309. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science 5 (1): 29pp.