Telephone: +44 (0)131 24 42844
Address: Marine Scotland, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
My research has been mainly focused on the study of the physical-biological coupling in relation to matter fluxes in the ocean. I am currently involved in the MSS Monitoring Programme to study the biodiversity and dynamics of the phytoplankton community in the Scottish inshore waters. My research also focuses on the analysis of the potential effects of ocean acidification on the plankton community using the Scottish Coastal Observatory (SCObs) time-series.
I have on-going collaborations with scientists working at several institutions across the UK, Europe and USA.
More information on a recent international collaboration on ocean acidification can be found on the Marine Scotland blog.
- Bednaršek, N., Feely, R., Howes, E., Hunt, B., Kessouri, F., León, P., Lischka S. et al. (2019) Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Toward Synthesis of Thresholds of Ocean Acidification Impacts on Calcifying Pteropods and Interactions With Warming. Frontiers in Marine Science, 6: 227.
- León, P., Walsham, P., Bresnan, E., Hartman, S.E., Hughes, S., Mackenzie, K., and Webster, L. (2018). Seasonal variability of the carbonate system and coccolithophore Emiliania huxleyi at a Scottish Coastal Observatory monitoring site. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 202, 302-314.
- Yebra, L., Putzeys, S., Cortés, D., Mercado, J.M., Gómez-Jakobsen, F., León, P., Salles, S., Herrera, I. (2017). Trophic conditions govern summer zooplankton production variability along the SE Spanish coast (SW Mediterranean). Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 187, 134-145.
- Mercado, J.M., Gómez-Jakobsen, F., Cortés, D., Yebra, L., Salles, S., León, P., Putzeys, S. (2016). A method based on satellite imagery to identify spatial units of eutrophication management. Remote Sensing of Environment, 186, 123-134.
- Amorim, A.L., León, P., Mercado, J.M., Cortés, D., Gómez, F., Putzeys, S., Salles, S., Yebra, L. (2016). Controls of picophytoplankton abundance and composition in a highly dynamic marine system, the Northern Alboran Sea (Western Mediterranean). Journal of Sea Research, 112, 13-22.