Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2906
Address: Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
My current research in mainly concerned with marine litter and the potential for micro-plastics to adsorb, concentrate and transport contaminants in the marine environment. I am also involved in the monitoring and assessment of contaminants in marine biota and sediment and actively involved in the reporting of this data to the UK’s Marine Environment Monitoring and Assessment National Database (MERMAN).
I collaborate with scientists from across the UK, particularly those from the UK’s Competent Monitoring authorities. I have close links with scientists from the UK and Europe involved in the development of marine litter as one of the descriptors of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive. I have close collaborations with the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen and also the University of Aberdeen, supervising MSc students who carry out their research projects in Marine Scotland Science. I have a close collaboration with the University of West Scotland and will be co-supervisor of a PhD student who will start their project on micro-plastics in the autumn.
External Committees and Responsibilities
I am a member of OSPAR ICG on Marine Litter and also the CSSEG Marine Litter subgroup. I provide advice to the Scottish Government on various aspects of marine litter. I represent Marine Scotland Science as Responsible Officer on the UKMMAS Clean Seas Evidence Group (CSSEG) and am Technical Secretary of this group. I am also a member of the current Science Editors Group for Scotland’s Environment Website.
Most Recent Publications
- Webster, L., M. Russell, I. Hussy, G. Packer, E.J. Dalgarno, and D.C. Moore. (2013). Environmental Assessment of the Elgin Gas Field Incident 2013 - Sediment and Fish. Marine Scotland Science Report 10/13: 49pp.
- Russell M, Packer G and Webster L. (2013). Elgin Gas Field Survey January-February 2013: Sensory Assessment Results. Marine Scotland Science Report 07/13: 10pp.
- Webster L, Hussy I, Craig A, Russell M, Packer G, Dalgarno EJ, Moore DC & Moffat CF (2012) Determination and environmental assessment of hydrocarbons in water, fish and sediment following an oil spill at the Gannet oil field. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Volume 2 Number 12.
- Russell M, Robinson C, Walsham P, Webster L and Moffat CF (2011) Persistent organic pollutants and trace metals in sediments close to Scottish marine fish farms. Aquaculture, 319, 262-271.
- Rosell-Melé A, Balestra B, Kornilova O, McClymont EL, Russell M, Monechi S and Ziveri P (2011) Alkenones and coccoliths in ice rafted debris during the Last Glacial Maximum in the North Atlantic: implications for the use of UK37’ as a SST proxy. J. Quaternary Science, 26, 657-664.