Why are we funding this outcome?
Raising animal health and welfare standards beyond legal requirements provides a number of benefits, both to individual producers and the wider public. It:
- supports a sustainable rural livestock industry
- helps to protect public health
- improves the public's perception of livestock farming
- helps to make rural communities economically, socially and environmentally sustainable.
Our financial support to individual projects which raise the standards of animal health and welfare can:
- help these projects go ahead more quickly or at a more appropriate scale
- improve management practice by providing training and better equipment and buildings. This will add value to any funding from the Animal Health and Welfare Management Programmes (AHWMP) under the Land Management Contracts Menu Scheme
- give producers not involved in the AHWMP the chance to apply for funding to improve the condition of their livestock. This will increase the number of producers in Scotland who are working to raise animal health and welfare standards beyond legal requirements.
What will this package achieve?
Ultimately, benefits are expected to be wide ranging.
Successful applicants will:
- get money for improving the condition of livestock
- benefit in the longer term from the reduced costs and increased productivity of healthier stock.
The wider Scottish livestock industry will benefit from:
- improved reputation for high quality products from farms with high health, welfare and environmental standards
- fewer disease-related export restrictions
- less chance of an exotic disease outbreak.
There may also be additional benefits to public health, the wider rural community and rural visitors.
What you can do
You should choose which of the following Options will help deliver the outcome you have selected. This could be, for example by improving knowledge and skills, helping to improve biosecurity, reducing tick habitat, providing shelter or shortening livestock movements.
The Options listed below will only help achieve the desired outcome in specific circumstances. If you choose any of these, the application system will ask you to explain how you see this Option helping to achieve the outcome. You can select as many, or as few, Options as you think you will need. You must judge which Options will most effectively deliver the desired outcomes taking account of your circumstances.
These Options will help to achieve the desired outcome in specific circumstances:
Animal Health and Welfare Management Programme
This was one of the options under the old Land Management Contract Menu Scheme and provides funding to support the proactive management of animal health and welfare through close involvement with your vet. The option involved a 5-year commitment. If you signed up to the Animal Health and Welfare Management Programmes (AHWMP) and you can show that your proposals relate to AHWMP activities, your application will be looked on favourably. However, Tier 3 funding under this outcome is open to all, regardless of involvement in AHWMP, and each application will be treated on its own merit.
Other support available under the SRDP
The Crofting Counties Agricultural Grant Scheme is aimed specifically at crofters, but aspects of the scheme could be used to improve animal health and welfare.