We have a new website go to gov.scot

Control of invasive non-native species - Japanese knotweed

Do not undertake cutting, flail mowing, strimming or composting.

Chemical control - you must only spray in the growing season when there are green leaves present. You must use one of the approved range of Glyphosphate based herbicides according to the Code of Practice and the instructions on the label. You must spray a minimum of two times in one growing season. More spraying may be needed and is allowed if the plant re-grows during the period of your agreement. Do not spray the plant again until early/mid May or when the plant is between 50 cm and 1 metre 50 cm tall. Every time you spray you must spray both the top and underside of the leaves. Following spraying, you must monitor the plant regularly for signs of re-growth.

If you want to spray near water - like a river, loch or burn SEPA must agree to the spraying before you start. You may find the SEPA Technical Guidance Note: On-site management of Japanese Knotweed and associated contaminated soils helpful. If you want to spray on or near a designated area, SNH must agree to the spraying before you start

Digging out Japanese knotweed - you must consult SEPA before you use this method. If SEPA agree to you using this method you must clear all of the leaf and stem material above ground and remove all of the roots and fibres in the ground along with any soil or earth that contained the roots and fibres as this will be contaminated. If you want to use this method you will need to remove all of the roots. If any of the plant re-grows during the period of your agreement you must spray the plant with an approved Glyphosphate based herbicide and follow the requirements set out for the chemical control of Japanese knotweed back to that section. The soil around the plant must be removed for a diameter of 7 m, this can be less where no soil is present. The soil must be removed by a licensed haulier to a licensed or permitted landfill site.

Disposal of your Japanese knotweed. Japanese knotweed infected or plant material that is to be discarded is classed as controlled waste and must be removed from the site for disposal by a SEPA license haulier, the waste must be accompanied by appropriate Waste Transfer documentation prepared by the haulier. Waste must be disposed of in licensed or permitted landfill site Unless SEPA agree all contaminated material must be removed from the area of land being supported under this Option. All containers and bags containing Japanese knotweed or infected soil leaving the area must be covered to avoid spread along public roads.