This website is no longer being updated. Please go to GOV.SCOT


The maps that you provide form an integral part of your RDC-RP detailed proposal and will be used as part of your contract.

This guidance is divided into 2 parts. Part 1 covers the standard of maps required and Part 2 provides details on what to include on your maps.

You should also check individual Option guidance for the detailed mapping requirements necessary for that Option.

Part 1

What sort of map should I use?

Field Identification System (FIS) maps

If you are a land occupier and have previously registered your land in order to claim payments under a support scheme operated by the Scottish Government Rural Payments and Inspections Directorate then you will have been issued with a Field Identification System (FIS) map of your land holding/s. Alternatively, you will, in due course, receive a FIS map after submitting a Land and Business Change Form. Proposal maps based on your FIS map/s will be acceptable for RDC -Rural Priorities scheme.

Ordnance Survey maps

If you do not possess a FIS map then your detailed Proposal maps must be based on up-to-date Ordnance Survey (OS) maps. You must use originals or good quality copies (ie. paper maps) unless you have access to digital mapping software enabling you to produce maps to the required standard, in which case, you can submit maps in pdf format.

Large scale mapping covering the whole of Scotland is available from Ordnance Survey in various hard-copy and digital formats under the product titles OS Sitemap or OS Landplan. These products allow you to define your needs and maps can be produced site-centred regardless of National Grid sheet edges and at any size between A4 and AO.

Where can I get a map?

You can obtain a FIS map by completing and submitting a Land and Business Change Form to your local Scottish Government Rural Payments and Inspections Directorate (SGRPID) office.

Sitemap and Landplan maps are obtainable directly from the Ordnance Survey's Mapping and Data Centres - Ordnance Survey's retail outlets.

For more details on Sitemap, Landplan and other conventional OS products contact your nearest OS Mapping and Data Centre or telephone Ordnance Survey Customer Information on 08456 05 05 05.

If you are producing maps from your own geographic information system (GIS) or digital mapping software you should make sure that plots are based on up-to-date Ordnance Survey MasterMap data or 1:10,000 scale raster data (details of these products can be found on the Ordnance Survey website ).

What about copyright?

Any organisation or person wanting to copy Ordnance Survey based maps for their own business or private use must either be licensed by the Ordnance Survey, or apply for permission each time a copy is required and keep to the terms of that permission.

It is the responsibility of the applicant (or the agent acting on his/her behalf) to ensure that any copyright responsibilities are met. The Ordnance Survey provides licences to many bodies (e.g. local authorities, various professional organisations and business firms, etc.) and to individual customers who have a regular need to copy OS material.

To apply for a licence or for further information contact Ordnance Survey Customer Information on 08456 05 05 05.

Part 2

How should I mark the maps?

Your maps must be marked clearly and accurately and be consistent with your details in your Proposal. If you are carrying out a number of operations on the same area, you may need to use more than one map to ensure that the details are clear.

Your map(s) must:

  • show your RDC-RP case number and case title
  • Business Reference Number and Location Code Number
  • be produced on an up-to-date FIS or Ordnance Survey map
  • be at 1:10,000 or 1:5,000 scale (you should use 1:2,500 or 1:1,250 scale for smaller areas requiring clarity)
  • have the scale clearly marked on the map
  • clearly show at least two horizontal and two vertical grid lines along with grid numbers
  • not have any map detail hidden by folds, labels or marks
  • have the OS grid reference of the centre of your application area marked
What details should I show on the map?

The following represents the minimum requirements for displaying details on your map. Further detailed guidance on providing maps for woodland Options is currently available. Further detailed mapping guidance on other Options will be available soon.

  • Depict each annual recurrent activity or capital item you have itemised in your online Proposal schedule of operations using an easily recognisable colour hatching or symbol on your map. Recommended colour hatching and symbols are available for Woodland Options (see separate Woodland Options mapping guidance). Others will be available soon.
  • Include a key to all symbols and hatching depicted on your map/s.
  • Label each individual annual recurrent area and capital item with a letter that corresponds to the map labels you have entered in your online Proposal Option details.