This website is no longer being updated. Please go to GOV.SCOT

Appeals and Complaints

You can appeal against decisions to refuse, reduce or recover subsidy or grant payments.

Examples of decisions you may not appeal against are:

  • the payment rates set for schemes
  • adjustments to applications administered by other organisations or
  • refusal of any SRDP application

When we send you a letter with a decision that you can appeal against, we will tell you about your rights of appeal.

Appeals against our decision

If you have been penalised and are not sure why we made this decision or do not understand it you should contact your Area Office and ask us to review our decision. We will send you a Review Application form which you must return to us no later than 30 days from the date of the letter notifying you of the decision. You can get further information on the appeals procedure from us or on the Scottish Government website. You can also download a Review Application form from our website.

Complaints about our standard of service

We aim to provide a high quality service to all our customers but sometimes things can go wrong and we may not meet these standards. The complaints procedure allows you to raise any concerns you may have. We will treat your complaint seriously and send you a full response.

If you wish to complain, the booklet Complaints Procedure for Agricultural Matters (CF1-2004) explains how we will handle your complaint and the standard of service you should expect from us while we look in to your complaint. For more information about our complaints procedure you can email the Complaints Secretariat at

Other ways to complain

You may complain in other ways. You may ask your Member of the Scottish Parliament (or your Member of the UK Parliament) to take up your complaint with the Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment at the Scottish Government, Saughton House, Broomhouse Drive, Edinburgh EH11 3XD.

If you have used our complaints procedure and are still not satisfied, you (or your representative) may ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. Your representative may be an MSP, local councillor or any person you consider suitable to represent your interests. You must submit your complaint to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7NS within 12 months after the day on which you first had notice of the matter which you are complaining about. You can find more information about the Scottish Public Sector Ombudsman at If you are satisfied with the service we have provided, or wish to highlight some exceptional performance, we would be happy to hear from you. We would welcome your suggestions on how we might build on the service we provide.