This website is no longer being updated. Please go to GOV.SCOT

Content updates

This content is not being updated.

Please see the Rural payments and services site for the most up to date information on grants, subsidies and services.


Who carries out the inspections?

The Rural Payments and Inspections Division (RPID).

Why do we need to inspect?

Under current European Union (EU) regulations, RPID, must carry out a number of inspections each year to confirm that conditions are being met in return for payments made under the various schemes we manage. During these inspections, we will check that:

  • the details given in declarations and claims for payments are correct
  • current legal and administrative rules are being met

Most of our inspections will be unannounced. In some cases we may give some notice, but usually not more than 48 hours.

What do we inspect?

RPID inspectors carryout inspections for: agri environment and forestry schemes, animal identification and traceability (cattle, sheep and goats, and pigs), bees, cereals, Cross Compliance, eggs and poultry, Land Management Contract menu Scheme, Less Favoured Area Support Scheme, Potatoes and Basic Payment Scheme

As part of SEARS initiative, RPID has taken over the responsibility of carrying out a number of inspections on behalf of SEPA. These involve Controlled Activities Regulations (CAR) and Diffuse pollution, disposal waste sheep dip inspections and Silage, Slurry and Agricultural Fuel oil (SSAFO) regulation inspections.

RPID staff will also be responsible for carrying out inspections on various parts of the Scotland Rural Development Programme (SRDP). Further details on these inspections can be found on the SRDP website.

Where can you find out more?

In this section you will find the inspection guidance that RPID staff follow when carrying out inspections. These documents are designed for use by RPID staff, but we are now making them available to the public. However, you may find that some of the documents contain links to resources that are currently only available internally.

If you wish to find out any more information then you can contact your local RPID area office or visit our dedicated inspections pages of the Rural Payments and Services website.