We have a new website go to gov.scot

Livestock ID and Traceability | Sheep and Goats | Getting Started

Registrationsheep and lambs

There are a number of steps you need to take before you move sheep or goats onto your holding in order to operate within the requirements of the law:

  1. Firstly, you must register your holding with the Rural Payments and Inspections Division (RPID) through your local office. They will give you a County Parish Holding (CPH) number which is a unique code allocated to the land where animals are kept - this is used when reporting and recording animals moving on to or off your holding.
  2. You must then inform your local Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) office who will give you a herd mark (goats) or a flock mark (sheep) for your holding. The herd/flock mark means you will be able to buy tags and electronic identifiers for your sheep or goats.

You must register your holding within 30 days from the date you first keep animals.

You must also inform APHA within 30 days of ceasing to keep animals on a holding.