Annual Planning Application Decision Times, 2018-19, Published - An Official Statistics Publication
Statistics on annual planning performance detail the number of planning applications across Scotland and average decision times for most types of application including housing and business and industry.
The average decision time for Local Development decisions in 2018/19 matched the quickest average decision time since 2012/13*
- The average decision time for 25,244 Local Developments in 2018/19 was 9.0 weeks, matching the time for the previous year which was the quickest annual decision time since the start of this data collection in 2012/13.
- Local housing applications were decided in an average of 12.3 weeks, slightly slower than the previous year (12.2 weeks), but which follows five years of annual decreases in average times prior to this. The average decision time was influenced by a small number of applications with lengthy decision times, the percentage of local housing applications with decisions within two months has increased by 1.8 percentage points from 54.9% in 2017/18 to 56.7% in 2018/19.
*Excludes applications subject to processing agreements where timescales for decisions are agreed in advance. There were 2,129 local applications (8% of all local applications) subject to processing agreements in 2018/19.
Major Development decisions were quicker on average in 2018/19*.
- The average decision time for 207 Major Developments in 2018/19 was 32.5 weeks, just over a week quicker than the average of 33.6 weeks in the previous year.
- Major housing applications were decided in an average of 35.1 weeks, more than three weeks quicker than the previous year (38.2 weeks) and the quickest annual decision time since the start of this data collection in 2012/13.
*Excludes applications subject to processing agreements where timescales for decisions are agreed in advance. There were 118 major applications (36% of all major applications) subject to processing agreements in 2018/19.
- For the year 2018/19 the overall rate of approvals for all types of application was 93.7%.
Reduction in number of planning applications decided in 2018/19 compared with previous years*
- The number of Local Development decisions in 2018/19 totalled 27,373, a decrease of 2% (518 applications) from the previous year.
- The number of Major Development decisions in 2018/19 totalled 325, a decrease of 2% (6 applications) from 2017/18.
*Includes processing agreements.
The full publication and accompanying documents are available at the left page.