We have a new website go to gov.scot


Overseas Healthcare Team
Room M0135
Durham House
Tyne & Wear
NE38 7SF

Phone: 0191 218 1999

e-mail: overseas.healthcare@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Giving Birth Outside UK

If you are going to another European Economic Area country specifically to give birth, you will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for routine medical care and a S2 form to cover the birth itself.  As well as having an EHIC, it is recommended that you have travel insurance as the EHIC may not cover you for every situation. 

To get an S2 you need to write to the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle, explaining why you want care outside the UK and enclosing the following information:

  • A MATB1* certificate or a letter from your UK GP or midwife, showing your expected date of delivery
  • Your NHS number or National Insurance number and
  • Your date of birth, your full UK address and dates of travel.

Please indicate whether or not you will be returning to the UK as well as if you have already left the UK for another EEA country.

* The Maternity Certificate (MATB1) is specifically designed for the purpose of enabling a pregnant woman to claim Statutory Maternity Pay from her employer or Maternity Allowance from Jobcentre Plus. The certificate verifies the fact of pregnancy and confirms the date of the expected week of confinement.