We have a new website go to gov.scot


Find Out More About Access Rights in Scotland

If you have any issue or question relating to Scottish access rights, the person to contact is the access officer at the local authority, or, if you are within a National Park, the National Park Authority. The access officer can help in a variety of circumstances:

  • Mediating with a land manager for you, if access rights are being illegally prevented
  • Clarifying where access rights do and do not apply on someone's property
  • Deciding what routes should be promoted across property, including alternative routes where a land management activity is taking place
  • Helping with putting up signs indicating routes to take, reminding people of their responsibilities, or warning people of hazards

If you are dissatisfied with the response of the local access officer you could ask for the matter to be referred to the local access forum. Ultimately, matters can be referred to the Courts for judicial determination on where access rights apply or what is responsible behaviour by those exercising access rights or land managers.