Find a Designer or Installer approved to Certify work against Building Regulations
If you are undertaking building work and you want to find someone who is approved to certify their work against building regulations, you should use the Scottish Government Certification Register. Aspects of trades and work covered are:
- Building Structures
- Electrical Installations
- Drainage, Heating and Plumbing Installations
To do this, go to the Scottish Government Certification Register to see the list of businesses (Approved Bodies) who have the appropriate services (Approved Certifiers), with contact details. Just enter the relevant postcode, where the work is being carried out and the aspect of work or trade.
To use the Scottish Government Certification Register, you will need to enter:
- Project Location (and local authority)
- Trade Type (and work type if appropriate)
What is Certification?
The Building (Scotland) Act 2003 introduced the option of certification for works requiring a building warrant. It is based on the principle that suitably qualified and experienced building professionals and tradesmen can accept responsibility for ensuring work complies with the building regulations without the need for detailed scrutiny of designs or inspections by verifiers.
The Certification Register is the only authoritative source of information on all Approved Bodies and Approved Certifiers in Scotland. It is updated weekly from information sent by all Scheme providers.
- The Register enables members of the public to find and contact an Approved Body offering certification services in their area.
- The register is used by local authority verifiers to check the validity of certificates issued by Approved Certifiers and to check for notice of intent to use certification.
Certification Register User Guidance