The Scottish Digital Network Panel - Final Report
The Scottish Digital Network Panel have submitted their final report to Fiona Hyslop, Minister for Culture and External Affairs. The report is accessible through the following link:
Scottish Digital Network Panel Final report
The Scottish Broadcasting Commission published its final report in September 2008. Although significant progress has been made in implementing some of its recommendations, virtually no progress has been made on its chief recommendation - the establishment of a Scottish Digital Network. This is despite the unanimous support in the Scottish Parliament for the establishment of a network.
As announced on 13 September 2010, Fiona Hyslop, Minister for Culture and External Affairs, has asked Blair Jenkins to lead an independent panel of experts which will investigate options for establishing and funding a new Scottish digital network providing public service broadcasting.
Taking as a starting point the conclusions of the Scottish Broadcasting Commission, to conduct an independent investigation into different options and models for establishing and funding a Scottish Digital Network which would be able to provide a sustainable source of competition to the BBC for public service broadcasting within Scotland. The panel should produce recommendations on how such a network could be established and funded. In doing so, the panel should take account of:
- The need for any new public service broadcasting network to be demonstrably independent of Government in its editorial policies and management;
- The economic, cultural and democratic importance of broadcasting to a modern, outward looking Scotland and its creative industries;
- Relevant findings on the viability of local television as they emerge from Nicholas Shott's review, which has been commissioned by the UK Government;
- The potential market impact on other Scottish media organisations of any proposed funding sources; and
- The impact of technological convergence on the way in which media content is consumed.
Blair Jenkins (Chair), former Chair of the Scottish Broadcasting Commission
Neil Blain, Professor of Media and Culture, Stirling University
Charles McGhee, Media Consultant, former editor of The Herald
Judith Mackenzie, Investment Director at Downing Corporate Finance
David Wightman, former member of the Scottish Broadcasting Commission and former founder and CEO of Creative Edge Software
If you would like to contact the panel you can you so by emailing email@example.com
Minutes of the Scottish Digital Network Panel Meetings
Submissions received by the Scottish Digital Network Panel
The Scottish Digital Network and Local Services Conference