The Scottish Government response to the consultation report on the Protection of Vulnerable Groups and Disclosure of Criminal Information. The response sets out the policy changes which the government hopes to make to the current regime. These changes impact upon almost every area of disclosure to promote greater fairness for people with convictions and desistance from crime, in particular with regard to childhood offending without compromising on the vital role of disclosure in public protection and safety of children and protected adults.
The response discusses:
• changes to the disclosure products offered
• special provisions for the disclosure of convictions accrued by children
• changes to the disclosure periods for spent convictions on schedule 8A and 8B of the Police Act 1997
• new rights regarding the disclosure of Other Relevant Information by the police
• changes to the operation of the PVG Scheme
Our consultation paper, the responses to it and this response are part of an ongoing process of involving those with an interest in our proposals and their continued development. The Disclosure (Scotland) Bill was laid on 12 June 2019.