1. An Action Plan for improving oral health and modernising NHS dental services in Scotland. Scottish Executive, 2005. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/03/20871/54817
2. Oral Health. Fact Sheet No 318. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs318/en/index.html World Health Organisation, 2007.
3. Fuller, E., et al. Oral health and function - a report from the Adult Dental Health Survey 2009. The Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2011.
4. Davies R., Bedi R., Scully C. ABC of oral health. Oral health care for patients with special needs. British Medical Journal, 321(7259), 2000: pp. 495-498.
5. The Scottish Health Survey, 2009. Scottish Government. National Statistics Publication for Scotland, 2010.
6. Adult Dental Health Survey 2009. ©Copyright 2011, Re-used with the permission of the Health and Social Care Information Centre. All rights reserved.
7. Levine, R., Stillman-Lowe, C. The Scientific Basis of Oral Health Education 6th Edition. British Dental Journal, 2009.
8. Pavia, M., et al., Association between fruit and vegetable consumption and oral cancer: a meta-analysis of observational studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 83(5), 2006: pp.1126-34.
9. G. J. Macfarlane et al. Alcohol, tobacco, diet and the risk of oral cancer: a pooled analysis of three case-control studies. European Journal of Cancer Part B: Oral Oncology, 31(B), 1995: pp.181-187.
10. Conway, D. I., et al., Widening socio-economic inequalities in oral cancer incidence in Scotland, 1976-2002. British Journal of Cancer, 96(5), 2007: pp. 818-820.
11. Townsend P., Davidson, N., Whitehead, N. Inequalities in Health: The Black report and the health divide. Harmondsworth: Penguin,1988.
12. Equally Well, Report of the ministerial taskforce on health inequalities, Scottish Government, 2008. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/06/25104032/0
13. The Healthcare Quality Strategy for NHS Scotland. NHS Scotland Quality Strategy. Scottish Government, 2010. http://scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/NHS-Scotland/NHSQuality
14. General Register Office for Scotland. National Records of Scotland: Mid-2010 Population Estimates Scotland. Population estimates by sex, age and administrative area, April 2011.
15. National Records of Scotland: Projected Population of Scotland (2010-Based). General Register Office for Scotland. October, 2011.
16. Gordon, D.S., et al. Dimensions of Diversity: Population differences and public health improvement opportunities. Glasgow: NHS Health Scotland, 2010.
17. Care Homes Census, 2010. Scotland. ISD Scotland, 2010.
18. Scottish Dental Needs Assessment Programme (SDNAP). Domiciliary Dental Care Needs Assessment Report, 2010.
19. Operation of the homeless persons legislation in Scotland: 2010-11: National Statistics Publication for Scotland. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/08/31093245/0
20. Chavarry, N.G., et al. The relationship between diabetes mellitus and destructive periodontal disease: a meta-analysis. Oral Health & Preventive Dentistry, 7(2), 2009: pp.107-127.
21. Lewis, D., et al. Access to Special care Dentistry, part 7. Special care dentistry services: seamless care for people in their middle years- Part 1. British Dental Journal, 205(6), 2008: pp. 305-317.
22. Hallmon W.W. Rossmann J.A. The role of drugs in the pathogenesis of gingival overgrowth. A collective review of current concepts. Periodontology, 21, 2000: pp.179-196.
23. Razali, M., et al. A retrospective study of periodontal disease severity in smokers and non-smokers. British Dental Journal, 198, 2005: pp.495-498. Published online: 23 April 2005 | doi:10.1038/sj.bdj.4812253
24. Oral cancer-UK Incidence Statistics. Cancer Research UK, May 2010. http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/oral/incidence/
25. Oral cancer-UK Mortality Statistics. Cancer Research UK, May 2010. http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/oral/mortality/
26. ISD Online, "http://www.isdscotland.scot.nhs.uk/Health-Topics/Cancer/Cancer-Statistics/Head-and-Neck/" Survival estimates from Head and Neck cancers in Scotland; 2010, Information and Statistics Division, NHSScotland.
27. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) 90. Diagnosis and management of health and neck cancer. A national clinical guideline. October 2006. NHS Education Scotland. http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/qrg90.pdf)
28. Warnakulasuriya, S., Sutherland G., and Scully C., "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15743687" Tobacco, oral cancer, and treatment of dependence. Oral Oncology, 41(3), 2005: pp. 244-260.
29. Herrero, R., et al., "http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/23/1772.long" Human papillomavirus and oral cancer: the International Agency for Research on Cancer multicenter study. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 95(23), 2003: pp. 1772-83.
30. Grulich, A. E., et al., "http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(07)61050-2/fulltext" Incidence of cancers in people with HIV/AIDS compared with immunosuppressed transplant recipients: a meta-analysis. Lancet, 370 (9581), 2007: pp. 59-67.
31. The Scottish Health Survey, 2010. Volume 1. Main Report. Scottish Government, 2011.
32. The Scottish Health Survey, 2008. Volume 1. Main Report. Scottish Government, 2009. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2009/09/29095734
33. Macpherson, L.M.D., et al. National Dental Inspection Programme of Scotland. Report of the 2010 Survey of P1 Children. Scottish Dental Epidemiological Co-ordinating Committee, 2010.
34. Macpherson, L.M.D et al. Report of the 2011 Detailed Inspection Programme of Primary & Children and the Basic Inspection of Primary 1 and Primary 7 Children. Scottish Dental Epidemiological Co-ordinating Committee, 2011.
35. Merrett, M.C.W, et al,. Report of the 2008 Survey of P1 Children, 2008. Scottish Dental Epidemiological Co-ordinating Committee, 2008.
36. Sweeney, M.P., et al. Oral health care and status of elderly care home residents in Glasgow. Community Dental Health, 24, 2007: pp. 37-42.
37. Smile4Life: Report of the Homeless Oral Health Survey in Scotland, 2008-2009. Dental Health Services Research Unit: University of Dundee, 2011.
38. Prophylaxis against infective endocarditis: Antimicrobial prophylaxis against infective endocarditis in adults and children undergoing interventional procedures. NICE Clinical Guideline 64. Centre for Clinical Practice, NICE. Department of Health, 2008. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG64NICEguidance.pdf
39. Cavasin Filho J.C., Giovani E.M. Xerostomy, Dental Caries and Periodontal Disease in HIV+ Patients. The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 13(1), 2009: pp.13-7.
40. Felix D.H., Wray D. The prevalence of oral candidiasis in HIV infected individuals and dental attenders in Edinburgh. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, 22, 1993: pp. 418-420.
41. Fabian F.M., et al. Oral Manifestations Among People Living with HIV/AIDS in Tanzania. International Dental Journal. 59(4), 2009: pp.187-91.
42. Ouellette-Kuntz H. Understanding Health Disparities and Inequities Faced by Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 18: 2005: pp.113-121.
43. M.P. Sweeney et al. Community care and oral health. Public Health Institute for Scotland (PHIS) Needs Assessment, 2002.
44. Department of Health, Valuing people: A New Strategy for Learning Disability for the 21st century. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, UK. 2001.
45. S. Turner et al. Oral health risk assessment of adults with learning difficulties.
46. British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry, Department of Health. Delivering Better Oral Health. An evidence-based toolkit for prevention, 2nd edition, Department of Health, 2009.
47. Ash Scotland. Oral Health and Transcultural Tobacco. A guide for health professionals & transcultural tobacco users. NHS Lothian and ASH Scotland.
48. Health Scotland.com. Tobacco. NHS Scotland. http://www.healthscotland.com/topics/health/tobacco/index.aspx
49. NHS: PCA (D)(2010)8. Amendment Ni 118 to the Statement of Dental Remuneration. Scottish Government, 2010.
50. ISD. Dental Statistics NHS General Dental Services Registrations. Published November, 2011.
51. NHS: PCA 2010(D) 01. Scottish Government, 2010
52. Review of Primary Care Salaried Dental Services in Scotland. Scottish Executive, Edinburgh, 2006.
53. Delayed Discharges in NHS Scotland - Figures from April 2011 Census. May 2011. ISD Scotland.
54. An Analysis of the Dental Workforce in Scotland: A Strategic Review, 2010. Scottish Government. Edinburgh, 2011. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/03/07154848/21
55. Scope of Practice. General Dental Council, 2009.
56. H. Frenkel. Oral health care: can training improve its quality? Nursing and Residential Care, 5 (6), 2003: pp. 268-271.
57. M. Edwards et al. Caring for Smiles: Guide for Trainers. Better oral care for dependent older people. NHS Health Scotland, 2010. http://www.healthscotland.com/documents/4169.aspx
58. Smile4life: The Intervention. Dental Health Services Research Unit, University of Dundee: Dundee: 2011.
59. Circular No: CCD 8/2001: Guidance on Single Shared Assessment of Community Needs. Scottish Executive, 2001.
60. Circular No: CCD/5 2003: Free personal and nursing care- consolidated guidance. Scottish Executive, 2003.
61. Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000.
62. Regulation of Care Act (Scotland) Act 2001.
63. National care standards: care homes for older people. Scottish Government: revised 2007.
64. National care standards: care at home. Scottish Government: revised 2005.
65. Towards better oral health in Children - Analysis of consultation responses. Scottish Executive, 2005.
66. Childsmile www.child-smile.org/
67. Fiske et al. British Society for Oral health and Disability Working Group. Guidelines for oral health care for long stay patients and residents. Gerontology, 17 (1), 2000: pp 55-64.
68. Best Practice Statement: Working with dependent older people to achieve good oral health. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland, 2005.
69. Looking After Older People, The Lifesmile Project, NHS Lothian.
70. Fife Oral Health Care Award. NHS Fife. http://www.nhsfifehomecareawards.scot.nhs.uk/
71. Improving the Oral Health of People Resident in Care Homes: Evaluation of the North Ayrshire Pilot Project. NHS Ayrshire and Arran, 2011.
72. Open Wide Project for Adults with Additional Needs Within Care Homes in East Ayrshire. NHS Ayrshire and Arran.
73. Aljernon J., Bolden D.M.D. Kaste D.D.S. Considerations in Establishing a Dental Program for the Homeless. Journal of Public Health Dentistry. 55 (1), 1995, pp 28-33.
74. Homelessness and Ill Health: Report of a working party of the Royal College of Physicians, Royal College of Physicians of London, 1994.
75. The Streetwise Directory, NHS Highland. www.streetwise-highland.org
76. A qualitative evaluation of an oral health improvement initiative for homeless populations in the NHS Lanarkshire area. NHS Lanarkshire.