We have a new website go to gov.scot

HCS 1: Are you entitled to help with health costs?



(towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses)

NHS eye examinations are free to people ordinarily resident in the UK or who belong in one of the categories for exemption from NHS charges set out in the NHS (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Scotland) Regulations 1989.

You can get vouchers if you:

  • are under 16;
  • are in full-time education and aged 16, 17 or 18;
  • need complex lenses - read here;
  • are getting, or your partner gets: Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance (Contributory) and Disability Living Allowance do not count as they are not income-related), or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit;
  • are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate;
  • are named on a valid HC2 certificate issued under the terms of the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Partial help:

  • if you are named on a valid HC3 certificate you might get some help.

NOTE: If your glasses or contact lenses cost more than your voucher value, you will have to pay the difference.

War pensioners: