This website is no longer being updated. Please go to GOV.SCOT
Register to receive email news alerts, daily digest, weekly roundup or Topic newsletters.
ISBN 978 0 7559 5718 7
This document is also available in pdf format (464k)
1. Why should I read this booklet?
2. How can a money adviser help me?
3. Where can I get free help and advice?
4. What can I do about my debts? Debt management plan Debt Arrangement Scheme ( DAS) Trust deed Bankruptcy What are my choices?
5. What legal steps can creditors take against me?
6. What happens when my creditor takes me to court? How do I know if I am being taken to court? What can the sheriff be asked to do? What can I do if I What are time to pay directions and time orders?
7. How does a creditor get their money after court action? What is the Debt Advice and Information Package? What is a charge for What is a time to pay order?
8. What types of enforcement action can a creditor use? Arrestment of earnings Bank arrestment Other arrestments Arrestment on the Eviction due to rent or mortgage arrears Attachment Interim attachment Exceptional attachment orders Inhibition
9. How can my creditor make me bankrupt?
10. What if my creditor is a local authority or HM Revenue & Customs?
11. What can I do if I think my creditor or a sheriff officer has behaved incorrectly?
12. Further information
13. Household Income and Expenditure
14. Your debts
You can get more copies of this booklet, or copies of other booklets we produce, by phoning the Accountant in Bankruptcy's helpline on 0845 762 6171.
(You can also find them on the Publications page of the Accountant in Bankruptcy's website: http://www.aib.gov.uk)
This publication is available on request in community language versions and alternative format. Please contact 0845 612 6460 for this to be arranged.
Tel: 0845 612 6460 Fax: 0845 612 6470 Help: 0845 762 6171
Page updated: Thursday, August 21, 2008