CHAPTER 15: ADMINISTRATION
The Administration Budget covers the costs of running the core administration of the Scottish Government to help it deliver its Purpose and Strategic Objectives.
The costs involved are mainly staffing and associated costs such as accommodation, information technology and training. The capital budget provides resources for IT projects and facilities and estate services.
Delivering an effective administration
Expenditure on the Scottish Government's core administration will increase by an amount just below inflation. These funds will be used in a way which gives priority to delivery of our Strategic Objectives. To deliver this priority we will:
- continue to implement Technology Refresh across our existing network to meet business requirements. This will deliver improvements in internal efficiency and identify opportunities for expanding the scope of the network to enhance further sharing of services with other public sector organisations. Our spending will enhance desktop access to telephony, conferencing and multimedia and enable web-based remote access to all key corporate applications, facilitating the sharing of services and information;
- continue to reduce emissions, both from the Scottish Government Estate and from business travel;
- support the development, monitoring and evaluation of policies - as well as the development of a robust evidence base for government;
- ensure that the information we provide is accurate and accessible by further improving on our performance in responding to Parliamentary Questions and Ministerial Correspondence;
- continue to ensure that we meet our Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act obligations, and remain committed to operating within that legislative framework; and
- accelerate our progress towards becoming an employer of choice, one that broadly represents the communities that we serve and that sets an example to others. We will do this, in part, by working hard to increase the percentage of staff with disabilities, staff from minority ethnic and interest communities and women in senior positions in the workforce. We remain committed to being an exemplar in the field of diversity and equality.
SUMMARY OF KEY SPENDING PRIORITIES FOR THE ADMINISTRATION PORTFOLIO
The Administration portfolio's priorities are:
- to support the delivery of the Scottish Government's contribution to the Purpose and five Strategic Objectives;
- improving value for money and releasing resources by delivering efficiency savings in administration costs of 2 per cent per annum;
- ensuring that the percentage of total expenditure devoted to administration costs, across the core government and our agencies, remains at least 25 per cent below the comparable percentage for the UK Government; and
- to ensure that the organisation is diverse and a recognised leader in promoting equality.
Further detail on spend is provided in chapter 25.
Table 15.01 Spending Plans 2008-11
2008-09 Draft Budget £m
2009-10 Plans £m
2010-11 Plans £m