PROVISIONAL RESULTS FROM JUNE 2007 AGRICULTURE CENSUS
These provisional estimates indicate that, compared with June 2006:-
- The total number of cattle fell by 36 thousand, or 1.8 per cent, to 1.898 million
- The total number of sheep fell by 137 thousand, or 1.8 per cent, to 7.491 million
- The total number of pigs fell by 11 thousand, or 2.4 per cent, to 453 thousand.
- The total size of the poultry flock rose by 355 thousand, or 2.6 per cent, to 13.955 million.
- The total area of combine harvested crops rose by 4.5 thousand hectares or 1.0 per cent to 443 thousand hectares. Much of this increase was due to a 1.6 per cent increase in the area of spring barley coupled with an increase in the total area of oilseed rape, which rose by 6.0 per cent and in the area of wheat, which rose by 2.1 per cent. The area of spring oats fell by 10.9 per cent to 14.3 thousand hectares.
- The total number of people working either full or part time on agricultural holdings decreased by 0.4 per cent to 66.8 thousand. Staff employed remained approximately constant at 25 thousand, with a decrease in regular staff of 2.3 per cent balanced by a 11.3 per cent rise in the number of casual or seasonal staff. The total number of occupiers and spouses working on the holding decreased by 0.7 per cent to 41.8 thousand.
List of Tables
1. The results relate to the annual June Census of agricultural holdings. Census returns are completed by farmers; these results are provisional for a number of reasons which include late returns and outstanding queries not yet resolved etc. The returns provide information on the crops and livestock on the land which is owned or rented on a permanent basis by farmers, and the labour employed.
2. These results cover June 2007 returns for main holdings - i.e. holdings above a certain economic or physical threshold. For the remaining holdings (minor holdings) an estimate is included based on the June 2006 Census and previous Censuses. A complete analysis of returns for minor holdings is conducted after the final analysis of the returns from the main holdings in October. Final results of the June 2007 Census are due to be published on October 24.