We have a new website go to gov.scot

Dealing with Debt: Finding your feet: Advice for you if you are in debt


6b Rent and mortgage arrears

If you have fallen behind with your rent or mortgage payments (or any repayments of a loan which is 'secured' on your home) then you should take action as soon as possible. Falling behind with these sorts of payments can lead to repossession of your home or eviction by your landlord.

What action you should take if you have fallen behind will depend on a large number of factors including whether you have a mortgage or pay rent and what type of mortgage or lease you have. It will also depend on whether you have other debts that you need to repay.

If you have mortgage or rent arrears you should try to speak to a money adviser or solicitor as soon as possible. They will help you to find out what options you have and how to deal with your bank, building society or landlord.

Go here for free advice agency numbers.

Remember that there are laws protecting homeowners and tenants who fall behind with mortgage and rent payments. Try to get expert advice from a money adviser or solicitor if you think a creditor is taking action to repossess your home or evict you.

Go here for free advice agency numbers.